Becoming Vegan, was not, as I would have liked it to have been, for the animals, or even the environment. I have tried on those causes many times, and sadly failed, straddling a half way house instead - soya milk in my coffee and mozzarella on my pizza.
Nope, I was fairly well ensconced in the ignorant bliss of cheese world, and it took something huge to tip that scale. The deciding factor, the one that tipped me over the semi vegan edge, was my husband's heart attack at age 39. Despite popular consumerist conception that we need meat and dairy for our protein and calcium, I found myself falling down a rabbit hole of compelling medical research suggesting the huge life supporting evidence of veganism (books references at end and highly recommended - don't wait till you have a heart attack though). Whilst many folks could not be convinced, choosing to lean on 1980's advertised wisdom instead. I was, however, susceptible to this fascinating new glut of information. Life and death tends to do that for you.
So several weeks in and I have already noticed several wonderful and unexpected effects of this new plant based diet.
1) The first change, that came about, almost immediately, was a big boost in my energy. The past year had had it's way with me and I was so very lethargic. I could literally feel my muscles slackening and my physical motivation had left the room. A few days into veganism and I was back on the trampoline with the kids, laughing my damned head off. It wasn't a chore, it wasn't a hardship. It was fun, and I had the beans to do it, literally and metaphorically.
2) Waking up in the morning was suddenly so easy. Instead of negotiating with a two year and and trying to find ways to let mummy lie down a bit longer. I was up with the larks.
3) On the opposite end, I was staying up later with no ill effects. My previous lethargy had lead to me going to bed not long after my kids, but now I'm staying up till (shock horror) 11pm! A massive me-time bonus for this tired mama!
4) I feel more connected to my truth. Which sounds like a bit of a wishy washy concept. But it has aligned something in me that desperately needed aligning. Eating dairy products before came with guilt for me, because I know the horrors of that industry. So any such meal was one laden with regret. Now that I'm not dosing myself up on that, I feel clear, in line with my heart, and grateful for the food I consume.
5) I haven't especially lost weight - that wasn't the reason behind this. However I've notices a flattening of my stomach and a general trimness of this old bod. Perhaps this is the healthier food, combined with the extra energy. Either way I feel I have halted the onset of middle agedness a little.
6) As a spiritual writer and author, and a lover of tarot, my intuition and inspiration has been madly improved. Now my body isn't dealing with foods that made me feel sluggish I am free to explore my spiritual connection. To the point that last week I wrote a whole new book that seemed sent directly sent from a higher power. Yeah, that's pretty cool.
7) My husband, who was a heavy meat eater pre-heart attack, and who is still partial to it, has seen some huge changes. He lost weight quickly and has enjoyed the meals prepared. Plus, I'm not gonna mince my words, our love life has improved. Exponentially. 19 years and 2 kids later - who knew!
8) I don't miss what I was eating before - vegetarian. This new curve feels well overdue. And I have knocked together some pretty incredible meals. Everything can be veganised these days. Just this weekend I used a meat based curry recipe from The Curry Guy and turned it into a rich, creamy, better than the local takeaway style masala. It can be done!
9) As a pizza lover, I figured this would be my biggest challenge. I thought cheese was the thing that made pizza so great. I have discovered that actually a good base, roast peppers, onion and a tonne of chilli, with a sprinkling of vegan cheese, is the bomb. And Hummus is a god send that makes a very happy garlic mayo alternative.
10) I feel alive. In so many ways. I am energised, excited and a little bit reborn. This has opened doors and had me following my nose into new adventure - a cow sanctuary volunteer day was one such madcap adventure just this past Sunday. Aligning with self, inner knowing and being health focused has been a revelation!
Follow my Vegan Journey, ups down and cooking successes at INSTAGRAM
Recommended Reading: How Not To Die Dr Michael Greger and Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell B Esselstyn
Be Inspired with Cosmic Mother's Blog...
Beautiful Synchronicity. This week I asked the universe for an answer and she replied loud and clear!
This year has seen me struggling in ways I never have before. I remember a very similar slot of time during my late twenties. A period of having to step up and out of myself and into the next version of me, caused by external chaos and inner calamity. 2018 is looking to be very similar with a repetoire of ill fated health, drama and inner turbulence...
I went to bed 2 nights ago utterly fed up with myself and asked the universe for a step up, an answer, a way forward. And that night in my dreams I was gifted an answer. A return to a plan I had a while ago that I never saw through.
Since then I have been inundated with signs and pointers at the most remarkable times to back that dream up. The plan has to do with crystals, rocks and magic. As I was speaking to my spiritual Dad about the plan and lazily gazing at the pebbles in my front drive, I spyed a fossil. Just laying there amongst the plain pebbles (see pixture at top). Later that night my daughter came home with an ammonite fake tattoo after a party. The card I pulled after the dream said specifially that I should rekindle goals and pay attention to guidance in my dreams. As I was in the car second guessing myself, I looked up to see a kitchen shop sign labelled 'quartz'. Which felt warm and cosy and synchronous after spending the morning trawling online for ethically sourced Quartz crystal!
Sometimes the signs are subtle and we find ourselvea unsure if they are really there. Othertime like now, they scream and shout.
More on this when Im ready. But for now my darling spiriys, watch this space!!!
What undeniable sychronicity have you had the joy of lately? Lets chat in the comments!
Your weekly dose of Tarot Guidance... What awaits and what does the theme of your week ask of you...
If having a heart attack is what it takes to have you pick up your art again, then go ahead and have one I say. 😎😍💔💥This gig was emotional for me on so many levels. Seeing my husband alive and doing what he loves after a dark year. Hearing my daughter shout "you rock Daddy" between each song, and her manic joy after it was all over. Having a dance and a laugh in the sun whilst wearing glitter with one of my most precious friends. Watching The Beautiful South and knowing every word. Sometimes the best times you dont even see coming.
A full moon is a great time to open to possibility. A time to consider the events of the preceding month (and themes of the years) and step up from them. As the moon becomes whole and in her power, so we might borrow a little of her energy, her wholeness, so that we might feel less the weight of our problems and more the light of our potential.
On this note... Pick a reading, Butterfly, Pine Cone or Spiral Snail Shell... Set an intent, make a wish, ask a question. Scroll down to uncover your potential for the month ahead...
The idea of the Butterfly is romantic isn't it? We presume that becoming a Butterfly is an easily accomplished task, and one that can happen in sleep almost. Well firstly, it's not that easy, but if you are drifting towards your Butterfly self unconsciously, and on the side of unhelpful behaviour, then the end result may not be as pretty as you expect...
So here is the crux. Get self aware. The time for playing small has passed, at least for a moment. It is time to get serious with yourself before life swoops in and makes the changes you refuse to make yourself. What could you be doing differently? What habit or addiction is getting the better of you? What is it that you keep saying you are going to change, but then you do nothing? Become conscious of the areas of your life you have let slip, the areas of pain or anxiety. And then become fierce in your self belief, your inner knowing, and cut the crap. Cut the behaviours that harm you. Cut the relations that make you feel shitty. Cut the self harming thoughts...
Now is the time, my dear Butterfly for you to expand and grow. And it's all on you. Which is scary yeah, but it's also empowering. So choose to see the empowerment of getting fierce with yourself, and for your own good. No more excuses. You want to grow wings and fly? That's all on you. And you absolutely can, and only you know how. So again, before life takes over, make that choice, grow your chrysalis, become your own image.
Thanks Butterfly... Scroll down to bottom for more powerful tarot guidance links from Alice
You have curled up tight because life has thrown some horrors at you. Not just recently, but maybe over a prolonged time. It's caused you to go in on yourself and become wary of anything new. And yet even inspite of this, there has been no let up. You are constantly being asked, by the cosmos, to get up, get out, take opportunities, do things... And maybe you resist. So each new thing becomes more of a challenge than it could be otherwise...
Little pine cone,it is time to unfurl a little.Feel the heat and know that not all will lead to pain. You could choose to live like that forever, always wary, always a little bit anxious, ready to grieve at every opportunity. Or you could let life open you up.Crack you wide open, and then share your innards, your vulnerability, your love, with a world that needs it.
There is a very real call for you to open up. And yes, I know, you've been hurt and frightened and worried. And what if, what if, what if? But all of that is only as real as your imagination.The choice here, is wallowing the fear your inner world has become.Or shift that inner world towards the greater things that actually reside around right now!
Take opportunities, push yourself, consciously and purposefully see the good and potential in all things.Life is going to keep testing you, giving you situations, so go towards them open and ready rather than closed up and afraid.
Thanks Pine Cone... Scroll down to bottom for more powerful tarot guidance links from Alice
Spiral Snail Shell
You have overcome a great deal lately.That which once looked intimidating and uncomfortable, has become your world. You have taken difficulty, fear, ambition and hope and melded them into something real. The world has spiralled open to you.Nd now, rather than looking frightening and unknown,it looks bounteous, big and full of possibility.
Don't let this put you off! You are at a vital point in your growth.You are learning hat there is so much more possibility than you ever felt possibly. This could be another bridge to cross. As sometimes it's easier to think small.But you are being challenged, dared even, to think bigger. This can relate to all and everything you touch. Work, love, family, ambition, creativity, spiritual understanding.... You name it, you are being pulled toward it, and asked to understand your world in all new ways. A privilege and and a very real challenge.
The cards say though, that you will overcome, and once again find a comfortable place in which to reside.It won't be a rut though.It won't be a hole or a dusty rug.You will take the challenge and raise yourself beyond your own expectations, becoming a priestess, a queen, an expert of all that you choose to bring your attention to.
Trust that this journey is no easy one, but it is immense in it's promise. Trust in you ability to grow beyond what you have known and follow the paths as they open...
More Tarot Guidance for This Week with Alice's Vlog The Elevation...
More about Alice Grist
Book Your Personal Reading Here...
Liked this? Share on your Facebook page (below)! And sign up to my newsletter (bottom of page) to be notified of more readings just like this...
Here it is! My Elevation Vlog for the week ahead.Connect to your spirit, the themes of your world and ways to get higher and past your personal blocks!
Sign up below to get notified about your weekly Elevation Vlog from me!
Came downstairs to find this lady in the kitchen trying to get out of the window - doesn't appear to be the cats doing. Let her go and she returned to scavenging in our garden. I've seen her several times before. Will be keeping my eye on her and more especially keeping the cats away from her.
\nMost especially love that she found her way in when I was planning my cosmicmother elevation Vlog for the week with the theme of getting higher from where you are. To be posted here tomorrow! Sign up at bottom to be notified...
Here is your magical reading super charged by the summer solstice. The cards are absolutely not messing about. Can you feel it?
All three cards are infused with the energy of wake up call and transition.
We came this far so we can recognise our possibility. We came this far so we can see further and better. It wasn't easy. It wasn't supposed to be.
Now for the tarot (cards by me - Cosmic Mother Tarot)
1 Princess of cups. Transition waits on the other side of grace, appreciation and celebration. Find reasons to be stupendously grateful. This will serve you.
2. Sorceress of Pentacles. Change will burn and take you in ways you never expected. It will call on your wilderness and your spirit. Birth the fuck out of your life. You must. Give over to this.
3. Seven of Swords. Keep your heart focused on what you really want and make those steady sneaky moves. It is not something to feel guilty about. This is survival. Have your own back babe. You know you need this.
If you loved this reading follow me on instagram/alicegrist, purchase a reading with me or grab a copy of my tarot book, Dirty & Divine!
How has your year been darling? I ask with utter sincerity and an expectation that you have struggled more than you have laughed.
2018, so far, has been hard work. So many crises and chaos, on the world stage, overly so in the life of individuals, those two things mingling and becoming one and the same. That which hurts one of us, hurts us all. Isn't that a message we are taking from a year of terrible dramas? That if one of us cries, we all can (should we choose to). If one of us falters, we all can. If one of us grows.... And so on. Connection, commitment, community, oneness... How have those things touched your life so far this year?
Here, mid year, midsummer, beautiful Solstice, we can take the opportunity to reflect on what we have been brought so far. As we do, we can set an intent to vibe onwards and upwards.
Let me be an example. This year started with my husband having a heart attack the week after his 39th Birthday. Everything, everything, everything has become beholden to that and to what it meant for him and us. His recovery has occurred on every level, mental, spiritual, physical, emotional. And it's not over yet... Recovery, I suspect, never is...
And yet the mood has turned, the labour of emotion is slowly bearing fruits. Not the fruits I expected. It's like I planted strawberries and got apples. Perfect, and yet, so different, so utterly unmatched to my recipe. But maybe my recipe can shift...
What are your fruits? What toil have you put into your life this year, that you didn't plan for, and how is it making you wiser and wilder?
How do you hope to take this forward?
Now is the time to reset goals, ambitions and hopes. Today is a good day to pray. This evening is a potent time to cast a spell, make a wish, create a vision board, or simply make an agreement with yourself. The year need not go out, as it came in. Take what this first half has taught you, hold it close, thank it, and move towards something, anything new, for that is what will come my dear, as ever. Love, Alice
Book a personal reading or spiritual session with me...
Sign up to my online Tarot Course...
Read more from cosmic Mother Alice Grist